Friday, May 22, 2009

To flush or Not to flush?

May 20

Before I start to tell you about our day, let me explain my latest conundrum, since arriving in Matera. To flush or not to flush? In Rome we found it the custom to not flush the toilet after every use, but we had our own private bathroom, so we could do as we pleased. However, now we are all sharing a bathroom…and we still don’t know what to do?

Me, Nonna, and Richard after she received the pearls from Maria.


Today we spent the morning walking all around the Sassi, admiring the tiny cobblestone streets, knowing that millions of others have walked these streets over the years. It was a beautiful little town, however I would have enjoyed it much more, had it not been so hot. I felt like I was living a different life for a few hours.

Sculpture of the Sassi, in the Sassi


The goal of today was to purchase a piastra… Translation=Straight Iron. Why would I need to buy a straight iron, WELL mine exploded yet again! How difficult is it to find a freaking converter that works for a straight iron?!?!!? The first time I came to Europe I simply used an adaptor and had no problems, but I thought I just got lucky. So now I am 2 for 3 on blowing up converters/straight irons when coming to Europe. Oh well, now I have a European straight iron, and a hair dryer…I should be set now!

I got my piastra...notice the curls


Back for lunch! Linguine con Cozze (mussels…see previous blog), breaded chicken with lemon, pepperoni (plural for peppers, not the pizza topping), and foccacia, followed by oranges, bananas, espresso, and nap time. I love this culture, large lunch followed by a nap, how great!

This is Richard posing Adam and Eve style with a Fig leaf...There are fig trees everywhere!

After naptime, we again chatted with Nonna, until her neighbors arrived to meet us. After some small talk, and observation of their daughter’s linguistic talents, and chocolate, we left to meet Pierro and Ucho for pizza. So we didn’t meet them until 2100, at which time we started our tour of the Sassi by night. One hour and fifteen minutes after walking and talking comparative cultures we arrived at the pizzeria, La Talpa.


At the bottom of the Sassi, behind us are the caves (used for Jesus' tomb in the movie)


2215 dinner commenced with a feast of antipasto including ricotta, mozzarella, romano, eggplant lasagna, fried bread in tomatoe sauce, some type of creamed beans (similar to butter beans) with chicory, a bruschetta type salad, prosciutto, and lord knows what else; all served family style. After this feast, about 2300, it was time for pizza…WHAT?!?! More food, at this time of night? But, out came four pizzas, and we ate…

Richard with a giant plate of proscuitto at our family style dinner.


Unfortunately our evening became strained when I developed an eye ailment. I spent about 15 minutes in the restroom attempting to set things straight, and was wildly unsuccessful. By the time I was finished I resembled two face, no make-up on the left side, full make-up on the right. This little scene however did not stop the Lucano from coming out. Lucano is the region of Italy Matera is located in, and they have a whiskey with their namesake. Somehow by the end of the evening Richard was not only peer pressured into drinking a rather large beer but also sipping a double shot of whiskey.

Overall, it was a very wonderful evening. They all enjoyed sharing their culture and their cuisine, and were very attentive to our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters