Monday, September 27, 2010

A day in the life...

So now that clinicals are in full swing I thought I might give you a little idea of what my life is like...(on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday)

5am-Get up
5:30-Leave for work, the drive to the hospital is one of my favorite things about my day.  At this time of day it's a short drive with very little traffic, and it's dark (for now anyway, we'll see in a few weeks with the time change).  When it's dark in DC all the monuments are lit up, and it's really beautiful.  I drive along the GW parkway and see the Washington Monument, the Jefferson,the Lincoln and the Capitol all lit up every morning.  It's a glorious reminder of where we live, I love it!
5:50- I arrive at the hospital, get all settled in, and check my assignment.
6:00- I am in an OR setting up for the first case of the day.
6:30- I pre-op my first patient of the day.  Have you ever had surgery?  You know all those people who come in and ask you the same questions and do the same thing over and over, while you are waiting to go back?  Well, I'm one of them!
7:30-First Case....Followed by other cases...with lunch and a couple of breaks in between.
3:45-I leave the hospital to come home in DC's fantastic traffic.  This is the part I hate.  Unlike other cities (Dallas at least), the traffic pattern in DC is different every day!  You never know what to expect so the drive home ranges from 30 minutes to an hour... This makes me a little crazy, why is there not traffic in the same place everyday?  Transient city...

Me in my hat and scrubs after the weeks work!

Then I usually get home between 4:30 and 5:00, in time to workout (a little P90X action), cook dinner, clean up, and prepare care plans for the next day.  So that's pretty much what my life will be like for the next two months...then the hours get much longer!  So I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters